Home » What Documents You Need To Sell Your Home?

What Documents You Need To Sell Your Home?

Looking for a change in your lifestyle? Whatever the reason behind your decision, when you want to sell your home – it can be a bit stressful. After all, it’s not exactly something that you are taught when you go to school. Certainly not when you want to avoid making use of real estate agents.

There are countless homeowners who want to avoid the net of real estate in modern society. Through this article, we go through the most important documents that you need when selling your home (regardless of who you are selling it to).

Proof of Identity

The first point may be the most obvious. But both parties involved in the transfer of ownership will need to provide proof of identity.

This could be anything from passports, to identity documents. From utility bills to bank statements.

The Title Documents

The title documents are essentially the forms that prove who the owners of the home are. Which is why it is standard that these need to be included in the sale of the house. 

If you do not have your title deeds, you can contact the solicitor who helped you originally by your home. They should have these documents on-hand.

Worst-case scenario, you may need to approach your mortgage lender for the documents. These will need to be the official documents from the Land Registry.

Residential Sales Contract: Fitting And Contents Form (TA10)

This form is probably the most important document to have during the selling procedure. This is essentially the contract between you (the seller), and the second party (the buyer). 

This will be the form that you turn to in case disputes happen to arise over any aspect of the selling process. 

The contract should cover everything from the purchase price, date, tender, inspections, and conditions where the agreement will be terminated. 

If you are unsure of what to say/do when it comes to setting up this form, due to the importance of the contract, we recommend turning to a professional. This will help you ensure there are no loopholes to protect both parties.

Residential Property Disclosure: Property Information Form (TA6)

This form is a compulsory form – meaning you will not legally be able to sell your home without the presence of this form. 

Essentially, it gives you an official opportunity to talk about all of the defects of your home. Including boundaries, restrictions, or rotting wood in the basements. 

From the seller’s perspective – filling out this form as accurately and honestly as possible is imperative. The last thing you want to end up with is a lawsuit after selling your home.

Homeowners Association

If your home falls under the association of homeowners, you will need two additional documents (not optional).

  • A resale certificate
  • Addendum based on the mandatory homeowner’s membership

Both of these documents contain critical information for the sale process and can be obtained through the homeowner’s association. The addendum, on the other hand, cover fees, and responsibilities of the new homeowner.
The crazy thing?

If this is not submitted along with the rest of the forms – more often than not buyers will be able to completely terminate the agreement to buy the home, without any cost.

Third Party Financing Addendum

Are you looking at getting a mortgage to help you finance the purchase? There is nothing wrong with doing it this way. In fact, plenty of homeowners do. However, the one drawback is that you will need an additional form – the third-party financing addendum. This document essentially creates a responsibility for the buyer regarding what will happen if they do not obtain the finance required within a given time-period.

Lead-Based Paint Addendum

Lead-paint was the popular coating used on homes prior to the 1980’s. Unfortunately, multiple health-related issues were found on the premises of homes making use of lead paint. Which is why the federal government issued the law behind this particular document.

If your home was built before 1975, regardless of the homes original date – you will need to provide buyers with a short explanation (flier) of what their rights are when it comes to lead-based paint homes. The buyer will also typically have 10-days to inspect the home and all of the potential issues that the lead-based paint may cause when they move into the home.

Ready To Sell Your Home?

So, now you know exactly what documents you need to get the process rolling. Have you got potential buyers already?

Selling your home can be extremely tricky. If you are struggling to find personal buyers, there are organizations that will buy your home from you, at the same price as a normal consumer. Look into Southern California Home buyers if this sounds like something you might be interested in.

The last thing you want to end up doing is messing up the sale of something that you could have easily avoided. A simple piece of paper stating something that is otherwise obvious. Keep these tips in mind before you think about selling your house. Be sure to have all of the necessary documents in a safe place where they are easily accessible when the time comes.

Peter Christopher

Back to top